Twitter Feed

LATEST NEWS:

2013-06-22: Transfered all of my 2011 "My Year in Music" posts from Facebook.

Saturday, June 22, 2013

My Year in Music - 2011 - #6

[This was originally posted on Facebook only, but I thought I'd make it a bit more accessible and get in in here. Just forgot about it for a couple of years].


MY YEAR IN MUSIC
2011 is coming to an end, and I figured I'd start looking back on some of the music that has emerged on my horizon this year. It's not all new, it's not all brilliant - but it all interests me in some way or another. I thought I'd share.

#6: Red Hot Chili Peppers
Now for a change in tone.
In 2011, RHCP released their 10th album, no less, in a career that spans 28 years. Impressive, you might say - going through so many changes, experiencing so much, and still appealing to so many people. Fine. Impressive. But their latest album is boring and tame, and so is the one before that. And the one before that. In fact, their last five albums have been sub-par (to put it mildly), compared to the potential that lies within the band.
"I'm with You" (2011) is a half-assed pop hybrid version of RHCP, "Stadium Arcadium" (2006) is a thinly stretched collection of uninspired tunes, "By the Way" (2002) is honest, but godawful, "Californication" (1999) is half-hearted, but occasionally entertaining, and "One Hot Minute" (1995) is... just kinda puzzling and unlovable.

So why do I include them in my list? Just to take a dump on a once-great band that's turned old and lame? Not just. The real reason I mention them, is that 2011 marks an incredible 20 (twenty!) years since Red hot Chili Peppers released what by most people is considered to be their finest album - "Blood Sugar Sex Magik".

So - happy anniversary, Red Hot Chili Peppers! It was the start of a downward spiral, but what dizzying heights to fall from!


No comments:

Post a Comment